sunnuntai 3. huhtikuuta 2016

1.4.

On Friday Henna and I worked some of the time together and some separately, still both with Lavinia. We started by enrolling terminations for some people whose employment wasn’t effected on the engagement day (=they decided they did not want to start the job) and for one person who unfortunately had deceased in a car crash on Thursday. So I enrolled the terminations and removed these people’s papers from their files and Henna stapled them together. I also had to mark the termination date into the database and print the acknowledgements for the terminations out. Now the files wait for the final settlements to be enrolled and after that, they are moved under the stairs in the past employees or put-away archives. And actually I got the questionable honour to go through the past employees files in order to find one employee’s information for further purposes I’m not allowed to discuss about. I fortunately had to go through only 2/4 binders until I found the one needed.
I also tried to enroll some terminations and engagements, that the ETC system hadn’t let us do earlier. Well, the terminations still weren’t all abled, but I got the engagements and contracts for these employees in the system and printed out alright.

After that we got other papers to work on the rest of the day (and we’ll continue on Monday). The papers are new employees who will soon start to work and hadn’t got their information or even their red files yet. First we sorted out their papers into the red files in Lavinia’s defined order, which makes a lot of sense and was helpful, because now we didn’t have to guess which papers belonged to which page. After the sorting, we wrote their names on the name tag document (a template document of how the name tags are written and then the template is printed), printed the document and attached the name tags to the red files. Then the fun part begun.

By which I mean, we had to enroll all of their information into the database. The task itself isn’t that demanding, but at first we started doing this with two different computers. Which we were a bit later told, didn’t work on that database platform. So we had to choose whose work was to be deleted, and unfortunately it was my 4 files vs. Henna’s 1,5 files. But, fortunately Henna’s one file was already there, due to the fact the person, whose file it was, had worked for Signal8 before. So we only lost a half a file.

What other thing makes updating the database a bit hard, is that people usually have about eight pages in their files. The information asked in the database isn’t in the same order (and after the name, not in any logical order, at least known to us) as in the file. So we have  to go back and forth the file to find the information, and sometimes the needed information is handwritten and people’s handwriting is very hard to read. The addresses are also kind of hard to figure out sometimes, when people don’t bother writing them properly or the address is just odd. But to pat myself on the back a bit, I’ve become quite good at this in such a short period of time, finding and understanding the information in the files I mean.


The working day was overall quite pleasant and I’ve grasped quite well and quite fast the work I’m supposed to do. What I could work on is sharing the information that I have instead of being a bit grumpy when I’m asked something and have to stop working for a few seconds to give advise. 

1 kommentti:

  1. Sounds like work is definitely getting done there! :)It's nice that you can analyze yourself and also see things what you could improve on your actions.

    VastaaPoista